Tuesday, May 10, 2011

If you don't have time to read, you don't have time to write...

A great writer (who was it Stephen King?) once said that if you don't have time to read you don't have time to write. I haven't been doing much or well any writing aside from a bit a editing since the last time I updated this blog. I have been doing quite a bit of reading and trying to catch up to the goal that I set on goodreads. I'm not having much luck with that either. It seems that I just can't get much of anything done.

I graduated my class and while I should feel less stressed and relaxed now I don't. Maybe after I get a job? It sounds like excuse after excuse to procrastinate and maybe it is but when I sit down to write nothing comes and I can't even seem to bullshit around it. Does that ever happen to you?

I think I need some swift kicks in the ass or to get more involved with writers again. Positive influence and peer pressure. I'll give it my best shot and probably start working on writing.com again.

3 Comments:

Blogger Cee Martinez said...

I do find that reading does help my writing. If your time is strapped, perhaps short stories might work? When I read stuff, I get sort of a competitive inspiration that I start writing more. It does help.

I do get stuck on writing. Like where I come up with a rough draft that is absolutely going nowhere, but I find that if I keep my critical eye off the rough then I feel better. A rough is rough and sometimes they don't get finished or they're not that good, but the initial point is just getting the words out.

May 11, 2011 at 11:05 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Right now, reading tends to be the easiest thing to do, but my mind is just kind of not focused so I've been reading mindless romances one right after another and even then still at a slower pace. I have an anthology I could read but it's just not speaking to me. Weird, right? It's odd that the more time I seem to have on my hands the less focus I have to get anything done. I could be writing 10 hours today but my brain just isn't there for it. I don't know how to fix it.

You do have a point. I think this is an issue I've always had and will always have (and the number one reason I never do well with NaNoWriMo) is that when things are actually written out they come out the way they're supposed to be because I edit as I write and if I try to nix that out I end up not writing anything at all... but it makes the process slow and even though when I do get things done in spurts of 5 minutes I get out 250-500 words it took me an hour to come up with it. Sometimes I write more and it just doesn't stop but those non-stop trains have been less forthcoming.

May 11, 2011 at 11:11 PM  
Blogger Cee Martinez said...

Mindless romances can be fun. If you're totally aware of their silliness, perhaps that could inspire you to write a spoof of them? :)

As for the rough drafts, the part we have to remember is that the only one reading the rough will be us, so it's not as if someone else will read it and laugh at us for mistakes and such. It's the hardest part, but try just writing it, and embracing the flaws, just keep going forward, spitting words out as if they were sunflower seed shells. You might hit the runner's high at some point. :)

May 11, 2011 at 11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home